Neon vs LED Sign | Which Is The Best One To Use?
Which should customers select between neon vs LED signs? In this post, Orant Neon will explore the difference between neon and LED sign, as well as why neon is becoming increasingly popular for companies of all kinds.
>>> Explore more: How Neon Lights Are Made| 3 Important Phase
1. Learn about neon signs
Neon signs have been around for a long time, but they are making a return in today's world. Please read through the content below to find out more about neon signs.
1.1 What are neon signs made of?
The following are the primary elements of a neon sign:
These are hand-heated, bent, and twisted soft lead glass (crystal) objects that are subsequently cooled and fused. Afterward, different gases are injected into them to produce varied colors.
The tubes are shaped by being bent
Pure-iron electrodes enclosed in glass jackets are welded to both ends of the tube, and high-voltage cables are utilized to link them to the transformer.
Both of the tube's ends are welded with enclosed pure-iron electrodes
The device uses electricity to transmit the voltage required to light the neon gas within fluorescent tubes from the mains to the electrodes. They function using a mechanism called electromagnetic induction.
The electromagnetic induction process powers neon signs
- Backing panel/framework
The glass tubes are fixed to a backdrop panel or supported by some sort of structure once the final pattern has been created.
While bigger displays are often supported by wood, steel, or aluminum, smaller signs typically use a steel foundation.
Neon signs are usually fixed with a steel base
1.2 How neon lights work?
The chemical interaction between the gas within the glass tube and the energy injected via the metal electrodes causes neon signs to generate light.
These signs are made of neon gas-filled glass tubes that have been molded into lettering or artistic patterns. The neon tubing illuminates when a high-voltage electrical current is sent through the gas.
The neon tube glows is passed through the gas
>>> Explore more: How To Make A Neon Sign With 6 Easy Steps
1.3 Advantages of neon signs
- More Durability: Neon signs have a greater degree of durability. Before needing to be replaced, the neon sign's gas may last up to 15 years.
- Temperature Resistance: Neon signs can withstand extremely high and low temperatures caused by snow, rain, and sun. Neon signs of superior quality don't overheat.
- Many Color Options: There are many different colors available for neon signs. Almost any hues and tints are designable.
- Compatible with Other Materials: Other materials, such as plastic and glass, can be used with neon signs. That is a result of the low heating temperature of the neon.
You may select from a variety of colors for neon signs
1.4 Disadvantages of neon signs
- Electrical Components May Not Last: The electrical parts of neon signs, such as the transformer, may not endure. So, always spend more money on a superior transformer.
- More Expensive: The price of the neon business sign will depend on the size and intricacy of your design. A neon sign will cost more than an LED sign, though.
- Operating Neon Lights Costs More: Operating LED Signage is less expensive. A unique neon sign will cost roughly $228 per year to operate compared to a normal LED sign's operating cost of around $80. That is only a comparison, but the cost would alter based on consumption and changes in the cost of electricity.
Neon signs cost more than LED signs
2. Learn about LED signs
LED signs are becoming increasingly popular owing to their energy efficiency, extended life, and bright colors. The information below will show you more about LED signage.
2.1 What are LED signs made of?
NeonPlus® and other LED neon (faux-neon) signage don't require glass or neon gas. Instead, they are constructed of acrylic, a thermoplastic also known as Perspex or Altuglas that is lightweight, impact-resistant, and good at transmitting light.
Acrylic is used to make LED signage
The following are the primary elements of a typical LED sign:
These hollow tubes hold the LEDs and are made from solid blocks of opal acrylic that have been cut, rounded, and sanded.
Blockout paint or vinyl edging is applied to the acrylic tubes to complete the pattern.
LEDs (light-emitting diodes) are generally composed of aluminum-gallium-arsenide and function as semiconductors. They are linked together after being inserted close to one another within the acrylic tube.
- Backing panel
The tubes are affixed on a backing panel made of several materials, including polycarbonate, acrylic, and steel if it is essential for the final design.
The tubes are attached to a backing panel
2.2 How LED signs work?
Whereas neon relies on a reaction between neon gas and electricity, LED neon relies on electrons passing through a semiconductor, which is commonly made of aluminum-gallium-arsenide.
When used in signs, the LEDs must be placed inside the tubes in the correct position. Too many LEDs in the same space will draw more electrical power and possibly cause hot spots (when the light gets intense and looks like a dotted pattern). There will be black patches if there are too few LEDs placed incorrectly.
The LEDs must be placed to provide a constant source of light that resembles neon gas shining inside of a glass tube.
Constant light will be produced using LED signage
>>> Explore more: Neon Sign History | All You Need To Know
2.3 Advantages of LED signs
- Energy Efficient: LED signage uses up to 75% less energy than conventional incandescent lighting. Also, they use less energy than neon signs do.
- Cheaper Price: Compared to neon signs, LED business signs cost roughly 10% less to design and buy.
- Versatility in Use: After a neon sign has been up, it cannot be changed. Yet, you may alter the text on LED displays as often as necessary.
- Power Usage: As LED displays use 5 to 10 times less energy than neon signs, they are significantly less expensive over the long run.
- Maintenance: Gases in neon tubes need to be replaced often; this is best left to an expert (and costly) technician. LED signs, fortunately, don't require it, making them low-maintenance.
LED signage is more energy-efficient than neon sign
2.4 Disadvantages of LED signs
- Not as Bright: Compared to LED signage, neon signs have more lumens per watt. But still, it lacks neon sign brightness.
- Don’t Cut Through Fog: LED signage won't be as effective at piercing the fog as classic neon signs would.
The fog won't be as easily penetrated by LED signs
3. What is the difference between LED and neon lights
These are the difference between led and neon lights that you need to be aware of:
LED signs are less expensive, despite the fact that the beginning expenses of neon and LED lights are nearly comparable. Yet, depending on the size and style you choose, both neon and LED prices might vary. It all depends on how much light you want to utilize when comparing the price of LED and neon signage.
As demonstrated, the price difference between neon signs vs LED is substantial. LED is around 10% more affordable than neon signage for big outdoor installations. Yet, it would be beneficial if you thought about how valuable the cost reductions are.
- Power Usage
Custom neon signs still use more voltage than LED signs, despite recent reductions in power consumption. As a consequence, LED lights use less secondary power than neon lights, making them the most energy-efficient lighting or signage option.
Whereas large neon displays can require up to 15,000 volts to run, LEDs only need 24 volts. So if you're thinking about putting on a big outdoor event and are tossing between LED and neon, LEDs may end up saving you a lot of money in the long run.
For a business sign or small light show, the real cost of operating neon and LED lighting is comparable. Hence, there isn't much of a distinction between the two. It's also important to remember that amperage, which is used to measure energy efficiency, is less than 1 amp for a typical neon sign.
LED signage provides much lower running costs and practically no maintenance requirements. Neon signs, however, are more difficult to maintain, particularly in colder locations where ice and snow are a problem. Also, maintenance issues need to be attended to by a qualified professional, which might increase the cost.
Neon signs will require more upkeep, but LED signs won't
Since genuine glass tubing and high voltage are used in neon signs, there is always a chance that they will break and require particular disposal methods. Yet, LEDs are completely safe to use because they don't get hot and are shockproof. Moreover, hazardous substances like mercury and phosphor are not present in LED signs.
In contrast to neon lights, LED signs provide a cooler and less attractive light. Neon signs, on the other hand, are brighter and can be seen from a greater distance.
Neon signs provide warmer and less appealing light than LED signage
Neon signs come in a range of colors and may be made in a number of different ways. They can operate around the clock and are trustworthy, which can benefit your business.
- Curb Appeal
Neon signs have remained so popular with businesses all around the world because of the warm, welcoming light they generate. Old-fashioned glamour and magnificence are evoked just by the neon light. LED lights, on the other hand, are dazzling, yet they might look cold, rigid, and harsh to the eyes.
>>> Refer: Neon Sign Not Working: How To Repair & Maintenance
4. Neon vs LED sign - Which should you choose?
Determining the purpose of each is essential when deciding between neon and LED signage. If your company has a vintage aesthetic and you want distinctive signage but aren't concerned about the cost, neon signs are a great solution. The greatest choice, however, if you want your signage to be outside and have a neon look without the exorbitant expense, is bespoke neon signs.
Should choose neon sign vs LED sign? It is a significant choice the kind of sign you desire. If you're experiencing trouble, contact Orant Neon because we have skilled installers and designers for company signs. Designing a new sign for your company will be a snap because of our knowledge, state-of-the-art tools, and years of experience.
Nowadays, it might be difficult to decide between neon vs LED sign
The distinction between neon vs LED sign is described above by Orant Neon. Readers will have a comprehensive understanding of the differences between led and neon lights after reading this article.